If you open your heart to the hungry, and provide abundantly for those who are afflicted, your light will shine in the darkness… Isaiah 58:10
Serve: neighbors who seek assistance at a local food pantry
Connect: help children understand that not everyone has a fridge full of food and some people go without food because they do not have enough money to buy food; a small way children can help is by extending loving encouragement to those in need
Take the Next Step: challenge kids to bring in nonperishable food items to send with the decorated bags to further support the work of a local food pantry
- brown paper grocery bags, donated if possible (available online)
- markers, crayons, stickers, etc.
This sack is filled with food for you,
Decorated with love and cheer, too.
Know you are loved and receive this care,
So God’s love will be felt everywhere!
- labels (optional)
- print the message onto labels (optional)
- give each child a brown paper grocery bag
- ask children to write (or attach a label) the message on the top of the bag
- give children time to creatively decorate the bag using a variety of materials
- if close to a holiday, challenge kids to decorate the holiday theme